Scriptwriting Contest for Radio Drama
Seeking original scripts for live performance by theOn-the-Air Radio Players! Choose from any of thefollowing categories: MysterySuspenseScience FictionComedyDetectiveMelodrama
• The script should be between 15 minutes and 25 minutes in length.
• It must be an original script, unpublished, unproduced and free of royalty and copyright restrictions.
• It must be appropriate in language and theme for a “family” audience.
• There are no limits on cast size, sound effects or settings, but keep in mind that your script should be able
to be performed with an ensemble of 6 to 12 people, and the sound will be created by a table full of gadgets,
gizmos and the vocal talent of our sound effect wizards. We use an electronic keyboard for musical
intros and outros, but we do not use pre-recorded sound effects or licensed musical recordings in our
• You can choose to write in the style of old-time radio, or you can go for something completely modern
and original. We want to shed new light on the audio drama as an entertainment form, and introduce a
new generation to the enjoyment of Theatre for the Ear.
• Up to 3 scripts may be submitted by one author.
• All scripts must be postmarked by or before February 29, 2012. Winners will be notified by April 1, 2012.
• Scripts will be judged anonymously by a panel selected by the Board of Directors of the On-the-Air Radio
How to Submit a Script:
All scripts should be typed, numbered and securely bound. The author’s name should not appear anywhere
in the manuscript except the first title page.
Please include TWO title pages: The first one will include the title, your name, address, phone number,
and email address. The second title page will have the title only.
Use a standard radio script format — see sample.
Scripts will not be returned, so save a copy for yourself!
Send your script to:
County of Henrico Division of Recreation and Parks
Attn: OTARP Radio Scriptwriting Contest
P. O. Box 907755
Henrico, VA 23273
Judges’ decision is final. Judges reserve the right not to award all prizes if no suitable script is chosen.
If your script is chosen we reserve the right to edit for time and format. The County of Henrico
does not assume responsibility for loss, damage or return of scripts.
Questions? Email us at info@OTARP.com.